Posted on May 18, 2011 - by Crystal Cun
This is a handy list of tools that can be used to help decide what fish to purchase. It includes traditional wallet cards and mobile phone apps. For more in-depth guides and information, see our resource page for links to aquariums and conservation groups working on seafood issues.
Mobile Phone Apps
- FishPhone: Get sustainable seafood info from your mobile phone. You can download the free FishPhone app for iPhone, or text 30644 with the name of the fish in question.
- Monterey Bay Aquarium Seafood Watch and Project FishMap: Recommendations for ecofriendly seafood, and map the locations of restaurants and retailers where you’ve found sustainable seafood. Available for Android and iPhone.
- Environmental Defense Fund: just point your web-enabled mobile device to m.edf.org/seafood
- SeaChoice: a seafood selection app compiled for Canadians, available for iPhone
- Ocean Wise: another seafood app for Canadians and iPhone, sponsored by Vancouver Aquarium